Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Pineapple Tribute!


This weekend I could not get Pineapple off my mind, so I decided to create a wonderful new dish, Pineapple Cranberry Chutney. I have always written off pineapple, until the past few months. It is decided it’s officially the most amazing fruit ever! I love how it has such a thick outer skin and such a sturdy core, but then the flavor is so surprisingly sweet. As a matter of fact, I strive to be more like pineapple ( a strong outside, firm core beliefs, and yet incredibly sweet), it has the best combination of characteristics!


Today I was pondering dishes for Thanksgiving, since this is my first gluten free and dairy free holiday. I have been slightly frustrated with the fact that I will not be able to partake in all the amazing food that my family makes each year. So I have turned my frustration into creation. To begin my countdown to the holidays I chose this chutney. It is a very non-traditional accoutrement to turkey, but it is VERY tasty! This dish turned out so delicious, with a slightly spicy and tart flavor. It went really well with the Cornish Game Hens that I baked.



Pineapple Cranberry Chutney

1 Pineapple, cored and cut in bite size pieces

2 Oranges

1 Jalapeno, seeded and cut into small pieces

1 cup Cranberry, fresh

½ Red onion, sliced thin

¾ cup Sugar

½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar

Zest 1 tablespoon of orange rind into a large pot. Cut up both oranges and remove the pith. Place pineapple, oranges, jalapeno, cranberries, red onion, sugar, and apple cider vinegar into the pot.

Cook the fruit on medium heat, cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Serve warm with turkey, chicken, or ham. Yields 4 cups of gluten free, dairy free amazingness!

ENJOY!

~Emily

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made many chutneys. However, yours sounds great. I can picture the sweetness of the pineapple and the tartness of the cranberries together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete